<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Pitch Black was good, especially the 2nd time around. No, it wasn't the acting or the plot, but I guess I haven't seen anything recently from the genre of sci-fi space horror. The coincidence of visual and audio effects in the film are just plain enjoyable. I was annoyed with the lead female actress for being predictably stupid and selfish, Riddick's story and mystery throughout the film is interesting enough to keep me watching. I think its just a little funny that the monsters don't kill them all when they're stalled and bickering for so much of the movie, and most of the people that got axed deserved it (although the other deaths were a bit tragic), a portrayal of life's sense of fairness and justice is quite satisfying...

I think its fair that annoying, selfish, petty, and insipid characters get eaten by monsters. It makes the blood and guts that much more enjoyable. I love the last scene where they "say goodbye", and also liked that they flew close to the rings of the planet, because it looks SO cool. Friends of mine really liked the crash scene at the beginning. I have to admit, it's cool to watch a hypothetical space ship crash from many points of view. Although its not as scary or good as Aliens because the plot isn't there, the special effects and artistic details more than make up for it. Couple the eye/ear candy with a "good" bad-boy hero and "dark" hollywood ending, and voila, you have people waiting for the sequel.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?